- Zee Business Exclusive: IL&FS to pay Rs 16,000 cr dues to SBI, PNB, Canara Bank, Indusind Bank; Anil Singhvi calls this a big de
- Axis Bank Q3FY22 Earnings: PAT up 224% YoY to Rs 3614 cr on strong deposit and loan growth; NII up 17%
- Budget 2022 Expectations: From access to laptops at schools, universities to support to EdTech startups - check budget wishlist
- Swiggy raises Rs 5,225 crore from Invesco; to advance core platform, grow quick commerce grocery service Instamart
Planning to INVEST in NPS – What is Tier 1 Account? Know eligibility, interest rate, features, tax benefits and more
Both private and government employees can invest in the NPS Tier 1 Account retirement planning scheme.
National Pension System (NPS) is a government offered retirement-cum pension scheme. By investing in NPS, the investors get the dual benefit of tax-saving and retirement planning. Contribution towards an NPS account provides a benefit to individuals by way of a deduction under Section 80C. Not just it secures your retirement planning, but it also saves taxes of up to Rs 1,50,000 a year. The best part is both private and government employees can invest in this retirement planning scheme.
NPS Tier 1 account is the most basic form of NPS, and it has various forms such as NPS (State Government), NPS (Central Government), NPS (Corporate), and NPS (Citizens). Each works differently, but some rules are common for all. Anyone in the group of 18-65 years can invest in this. The minimum amount to invest in their NPS account is Rs 1,000.
Features & Tax Benefits
A person can get an additional tax deduction of Rs 50,000 under Section 80CCD(1B). He can claim a tax deduction of up to 20 per cent of his salary contributed towards NPS. Interestingly, the returns earned on NPS are exempted from taxation. The account is matured once the investor retires or attains the age of 60 years. On maturity, the person can withdraw up to 60 per cent of the amount accumulated in the account while the rest 40 per cent is used to purchase an annuity plan.
See Zee Business Live TV Streaming Below:
Unlike Public Provident Fund (PPF), Employees' Provident Fund (EPF), Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF), the returns on NPS are not fixed. The returns are completely market-driven and dependent upon your fund manager's performance and the asset mix that you select.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.