- AGS Transact Tech IPO: Top 10 things to know before the issue opens on January 19
- Technical Check: This smallcap Budget 2022 pick forms Rounding Bottom bullish breakout; 30% upside possible in 2-3 months
- Dalal Street Voice: Warren Buffett indicator signals caution; banking looks promising for 2022: Yuvraj Thakker of BP Wealth
- Budget 2022 Expectations: Knight Frank India suggests Input Tax Credit reduction for developers, 100% tax exemption to retail an
- Tata Motors announces price hike on passenger vehicles, effective from this date
SoftBank''s Vision Fund posts $2 billion profit, share weakness casts shadow
SoftBank Group Corp`s Vision Fund unit on Tuesday posted a 236 billion yen ($2.14 billion) profit in the first quarter after gains from listing portfolio companies were offset by falling shares in firms like e-retailer Coupang Inc.
The Japanese conglomerate posted record annual profit in May with executives pointing to further upside from Vision Fund investments such as Chinese ride-hailing firm Didi Global Inc and "Uber for trucks" startup Full Truck Alliance Co Ltd.
See Zee Business Live TV Streaming Below:
Those companies listed in New York during the quarter but Chinese regulatory action has subsequently hammered valuations, underscoring SoftBank`s China risk even as the group seeks to reduce dependence on its largest asset, a stake in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.
The turmoil is clouding the outlook for the group, whose shares have slipped a third from two-decade highs in March amid a record 2.5 trillion yen buyback which has since been completed. Shares closed up 0.9% ahead of earnings.
First-quarter group net profit fell 39% to 762 billion yen.
Still, SoftBank said its Vision Fund unit recorded gains of 310 billion yen after selling shares in delivery firm DoorDash Inc and ridehailer Uber Technologies Inc.
SoftBank has also been investing in publicly listed shares through its SB Northstar trading unit. It held stakes in firms worth $13.6 billion at the end of June with the portfolio no longer including Microsoft Corp or Facebook Inc listed three months earlier.
Chief Executive Masayoshi Son will speak at a news conference from 07:30 GMT.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.