- Stock Markets on Monday: FII selling, US market corrections remain a pain point for domestic equities; Anil Singhvi gives trigge
- IT indices top losers on NSE, BSE this week; Tata Elxsi gained 16%, Sterlite Tech fell 24%
- RIL Q3 Result: Reliance Industries reports 41.5% jump in December quarter profit - Rs 18,549 crore
- Budget 2022 Expectations: USD14 bn warehousing industry ready with its wishlist ahead of budget
- Mutual Fund in 2021: Equity outperforms Fixed Deposit, gold loses sheen while debt schemes least favoured by millennials
Scindia House fire: Nirav Modi/Mehul Choksi case records safe, govt clarifies
Nirav Modi/Mehul Choksi case: The government today clarified that documents relating to the Nirav Modi/Mehul Choksi case were completely safe.
Nirav Modi/Mehul Choksi case: The government today clarified that documents relating to the Nirav Modi/Mehul Choksi case were completely safe. It said that reports alleging that records and documents relating to investigation into the case have been destroyed in the Scindia House fire, at Income Tax Office in Mumbai, are completely false and misdirected.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) in a statement said that news reports of documents destruction relating to the investigation into the Nirav Modi/Mehul Choksi case appearing in some sections of the media are completely false. It further clarified that the records/documents of the ongoing investigations into the case had already been transferred to the assessment units housed in different buildings, as part of the assessment process.
"Apprehensions about any loss/damage to the records/documents relating to the Nirav Modi/Mehul Choksi case in the said fire at the I-T Office, Mumbai are, therefore, misplaced," the statement said. The Income Tax Department has been probing the Rs 13,400-crore PNB fraud case involving Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi. Various government financial crime investigation agencies such as Enforcement Directorate were probing the case.
The Congress in a twitter post said, "In a rather convenient turn of events, a fire burned papers that the Income Tax Department had on Nirav Modi , the man who was photographed with PM Modi before he went on the run after pulling off the largest banking fraud in India.”
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.